Brine drum does not refill or overfills.
1. The brine valve is set incorrectly. Set the brine valve according to instructions on the brine valve installation sheet in the owner’s pack or tech manual.
2. The brine valve is non-conforming. Replace the brine valve.
3. The brine drum is dirty. Clean out the brine drum.
4. The venturi nozzle is plugged. Clean out Level 3 venturi throat and molded venturi nozzle.
5. The brine elbow screen is plugged. Remove and clean brine elbow
1. Check stems missing or not working correctly. Normally yellow on base level, two check stems. Make sure they are fitted correctly. Replace or add check stems.
2. Plugged venturi. Clean out venturi, but do not damage this item. Clean out Level 3 venturi throat and molded venturi nozzle (Do not use anything sharp).
3. Plugged backwash flow control. Clean out backwash flow control.
4. Plugged brine elbow screen. Clean out brine elbow screen.
5. Check all quad rings on Kinetico ensuring all are in good condition.
1. Water meter disc is not turning.
2. Control disc will not automatically
advance out of service position.
3. Damaged teeth on control disc.
Action: Replace regeneration start pawl and replace control disc.
With the head removed manually rotate flow controls and check operation of gears. Scrutinise all cogs and check teeth on all the systems.
When the water meter disk on the top of your Kinetico water softener is not turning there are a number of simple reasons.
1. Non-conforming meter drive pawl. Action: Replace meter drive pawl.
2. Meter drive spring installed wrong. Action: Reinstall meter drive spring.
3. No back pawl not installed. Action: Install no back pawl.
4. Damaged tooth on the meter disc. Action: Replace meter disc.
5. Damaged gear in the gearing stack. Action: Re-gear Level 1 Assembly and check allowable flow rates.
Water running to drain?
With softeners and filter/softeners, start by testing the drain water. If the drain water is hard, the tank currently in service has a problem with its drain valve. If the drain water is soft, start with number 1 below.
1. Problem Reason Solution The balance piston O-ring is not seated properly. Water will leak past an improperly seated balance piston O-ring and out the drain. Action: Depress the actuator several times to seat the O-ring. Replace worn or non-conforming O-ring. Balance piston O ring sits at the top of head beneath the manual regeneration screw. Sometimes it is necessary to add a second thin O ring to take up any slack in the seal.
2. Scored or damaged control disk. A scored control disc will allow a fast drip to a pencil-sized stream to flow through the drain. Action: Replace the control disc seals or control disk.
3.The drain or control valve seals are not seating properly. Action: Foreign matter under the seals will not allow them to seat properly. Action: Disassemble and remove the foreign matter from seals. Replace seals, may be worn.
4.Low water pressure. If the water pressure is less than 15psi (CP208-210) or 25 psi (CP213- 216) at the brine fitting, the system may not operate properly. Action: Test Backwashing Filters with the unit in backwash and 1 faucet (cold) running water. Increase water pressure.
5. The Main Valve piston quad rings or Level 4 internal quad rings are not sealing. Action: The quad rings may be rolled,pinched, torn or just dirty, or may need replacing. Replace and re-silicone the quad rings.
The quad ring sets can be purchased from this site. NOT FROM KINETICO
They only sell the complete items at very high cost.
A Typical plumbing configuration of a Kinetico Water Softener
More than 30 years of ingenuity are behind the valve that operates the Kinetico 2020c.The valve uses the energy of moving water, not electricity, so there’s nothing to plug in, no buttons to push, timers to set and reset, adjustments to make and no increase in your electricity bill. Without having to depend on electricity, your system is remarkably reliable.
The Kinetico valve measures the amount of water that you use and determines when to initiate regeneration. Since it regenerates only on demand, it won’t waste water or salt. Other systems must be programmed to regenerate at a preset time – usually during the night.
So, if you use more soft water than usual during the day, you may end up with hard water. And if you use less water than usual, you’ll be wasting salt and water with unnecessary regenerations. But thanks to Kinetico’s metering system, the Kinetico 2020c only regenerates when necessary – at any time of the day.
The twin cylinders (fig. 2) in the Kinetico system ensure you’ll have a continuous supply of soft water, even during regeneration. When one cylinder needs to regenerate, service automatically switches to the other cylinder.
Twin softening cylinders also enable the system to clean itself with clean, soft water. Other water softening systems operate with hard water and use hard water to regenerate. The resin used in the Kinetico 2020c works extremely well in this compact system. The smaller size creates more surface area, allowing for more efficient operation.
Hard water contains calcium and magnesium. Your Kinetico 2020c contains resin beads, which hold sodium ions.When hard water passes through the resin beads inside a Kinetico 2020c, the beads attract and hold the calcium and magnesium ions in exchange for sodium.After this ion exchange process, the water leaving your Kinetico 2020c is soft (fig.1).
Once the resin bed is loaded with calcium and magnesium ions, it must be cleansed (or regenerated) so that it can continue to soften water. The salt in your salt storage tank mixes with water to wash the resin beads. The brine solution loosens the hardness minerals which have built up on the resin beads; then the system backwashes and flushes the hardness minerals away.
Once this is complete, the resin beads hold sodium ions. The system is again ready to exchange the sodium ions for more calcium and magnesium ions.
The Kinetico 2020c regenerates with soft water. Since you already know what a difference cleaning with soft water can make throughout your home, it only makes sense that the Kinetico 2020c cleans itself with soft water too. And your system uses only clean, soft water to make the salt solution in the salt storage tank.
The process of softening water adds a small amount of sodium into the water. When a person is on a low sodium diet, all possible sources of sodium should be evaluated in relation to the limit set by your doctor. To enhance your drinking water, you may wish to consider using a Kinetico drinking water filtration product, also available from your Kinetico dealer. Kinetico drinking water products will significantly improve the quality and taste of your coffee, tea, drinks and water used for cooking and baking.
Reduce or eliminate the use of fabric softeners.
Fabrics washed in hard water retain soap curd or residue, making them “crackle” when removed from the dryer or stiff if air dried. Fabric softeners are necessary with hard water to keep your clothing soft, but with soft water, you can reduce your use of fabric softeners or eliminate them altogether.
Take special precautions with automatic dishwashers.
Soft water, when combined with caustic phosphates in some dishwasher detergents and very high temperatures in the dry cycle, can etch dishes and glassware. To prevent this possibility:
- use the “no heat” dry cycle on your dishwasher
- use the minimum amount of a good quality, low phosphate dishwasher
- detergent needed to clean your dishes. This may be as little as 20 percent
- of the amount recommended by the appliance manufacturer or on the
- dishwasher soap box
- wash good china and crystal by hand
Special care for plants and fish.
Depending on your water hardness level, amount of rainfall and how often you water, you could use soft water for outside watering, but why waste your soft water? Water your garden, shrubs and outside plants from an outside hard water tap or put your Kinetico 2020c in by–pass before watering.
Many house plants can be watered with soft water although some can be highly sensitive to the elevated level of sodium ions in soft water. You may prefer to water with hard water or water from a Kinetico Drinking Water System Plus. Fish accustomed to hard water may have trouble with an abrupt change to soft water. Make the transition gradually over a period of seven to 14 days by blending hard and soft water until the tank contains 100 percent soft water. Once you begin using soft water, you should notice that your fish tank stays cleaner longer.
You may even find you can use as little as a quarter of the amount you were using before. Hardness minerals in water interfere with soap’s cleaning ability. Once they are removed, soap can do its job better.
Even though you’ll use less soap, you’ll get more suds and cleaner results. It’s especially important to reduce the amount of washing detergent you use. Washing clothes in soft water not only means you’ll need less powder to get your clothes clean, but also that
the powder you do use will rinse out completely.
Washing in soft water makes your clothes look whiter and brighter, and they’ll last longer as well. Again, Kinetico recommends that you use clear, liquid soaps, without dyes or perfumes.
After bathing in soft water, your skin should feel “silky.” It’s not soap left on your skin. What you’re feeling is your own smooth skin without any leftover soap curd or residue. When you bathed in hard water, you were never able to rinse this residue off completely. The soap curd that left a ring in your bathtub was also left on your skin.
But now that you have soft water, you’ll feel soft, smooth and clean. The same is true for rinsing shampoo out of your hair.
The Kinetico Water Softener utilises proven technologies to enable it to still outperform most of its competitors even though the design has been in use for many years. The simplicity and two bottle design enables it to keep going where other softeners often fail.
Some easy checks prior to calling service engineers or attempting major repairs will always prove to be a great benefit. This Technical section is designed to help all Kinetico users.